“Friday Night Lights” is one of the best shows on TV…so of course there’s always the constant chance of it being canceled. Currently, DirecTV is showing half a season’s worth of shows with NBC showing the episodes next year. Of course I’d enjoy them more in High Definition on my Plasmatron 3000, but once a buddy of mine told me how good season three is I couldn’t wait. Thank you Stinger! Thank you Bit torrents!
Now that I’m all caught up, five things come to mind…
1. The big debate is between Tyra and Lyla…which ones hotter. I’m thinking Julie needs to be added to the debate. She’s got this girl next door/”Gee, I’ve never done this before” vibe aboot her that rocks.
2. I’m going to miss Smash, mainly because his relationship with his mom is (or was) the best part of the show. I’ve always been a fan of the “Big Mama” character, and the weight Smash puts on his shoulders – that his family is depending on him making the NFL – is played brilliantly by actor Gaius Charles. The Smash/mom scenes have been my favourite parts of the show.
3. Tim Riggins friendship with Jason Street is brilliant as well, but in a more subtle way. After becoming paralyzed, Street has found himself traveling from Texas to Mexico and New York City. Riggins, without asking question, is just like, “Great, let’s go.”
4. The way the show is filmed ads a dynamic most other shows don’t have. It’s gritty and gets right in the characters faces. It makes for a much more dramatic show.
5. I wouldn’t say the stories are all that interesting, as much as it’s the characters and the way they interact with each other that makes the show special. Every character has a one-on-one relationship with at least three other characters that is an integral part of the show.
If I were you I’d start watching “Friday Night Lights” while you still can. Download season 3, rent seasons 1 and/or 2…trust me on this one.